Thursday, January 12, 2012

Edelweiss Bakery - Prior Lake

Edelweiss Bakery - Prior Lake, MN

I don't get out to Prior Lake much any more since I live in Minneapolis and no longer work out there so I was pretty excited when a friend out there called up and asked if I wanted to come out for a visit. I had been told about Edelweiss by more than one person, and I timed my trip accordingly so I could stop in and get some cupcakes.

Edelweiss is located right in downtown Prior Lake. Downtown is 3 blocks of one street, so it wasn't too hard to find. It's right on the corner on Main Avenue (Avenue. Everyone knows it's supposed to be Main Street), just look for the building with the clock on it and you're there. It's a cute little place with indoor and outdoor seating. They have two bakery cases, one with cookies, as well as breakfast pastries, croissants, donuts, etc.. I was there at nearly 5:00pm so they were pretty much out of donuts but that wasn't what I was looking for anyway, though what was left looked delish. Edelweiss also has an array of fresh baked breads, soups, sandwiches, and coffees.

The other case had what I was there for. Cupcakes, cakes, fruit tarts, and other sweet goodness. They had 3 types of cupcakes in there, chocolate and vanilla with buttercream (with green and red sprinkles and a frosting snowman on top) and red velvet. I chose a vanilla and a red velvet, and bought a frosted sugar cookie. I hadn't looked at the prices, but I was surprised how inexpensive it was. My total was $5, so I am guessing $2 for cupcakes and $1 for the cookie. Very reasonable.

Everything was wrapped up in a box. Aside from the taste, this is one of my favorite things about going to  a small bakery for a cupcake instead of the grocery store. It just seems so old school, and sophisticated or something. So here's what I had when I got home.



Next I opened up the box. They had put everything in there neatly and as I was afraid I had tipped the box over while struggling to get back in the house with all the bags and stuff I had. I thought I might be okay, I was really trying my best. Oh well. Be assured these cupcakes were absolutely perfect when they were put in the box.

Ooops..


Now the best part, I get to taste them! Red Velvet first, saving my favorite for last. Hmm.... wow. OK, good frosting on the Red Velvet. It's cream cheesy and that's good. Nice texture. Bite the cupcake...what's this? It's filled! Oh wow. Whatever this filling is, it's good, nice and creamy. Cake is nice and moist. I usually don't eat the whole bottom because I like a better frosting:cake ratio but I finish the whole thing here. It's so GOOD! The only bad thing, and of course this is just my opinion, is that it's a little too chocolate-y. But then there are lots of people who think RV is becoming too watered-down and not chocolate-y enough in our society. For those people, this is perfect! I'll even go so far as to pronounce this Red - Vell-vay, all fancy (Francy?)-like.

Look! It's a cupcake on a cupcake plate!!


The vanilla is the same deal, excellent frosting, excellent cake, and that delicious filling! I don't get to PL often but I was down there again so I stopped into Edelweiss again to pick up a few more vanilla cupcakes. I ask about the filling and it's a white chocolate cream. It's so light I didn't even realize it was chocolate. Also, some of the vanilla cupcakes come with a layer of chocolate ganache, if you want just a little taste of chocolate, and it is good ganache. I realize I should have taken the picture of the creme in the RV cupcake so it would show up better, but I wasn't expecting it!

Poor guy's had a rough day.

Snowman massacre. Oh, and the creme, the creme!!


As with the cupcakes, the frosted sugar cookie was awesome. The cookie wasn't super crisp, a little soft, which is how I prefer them, and the frosting was delish. Maybe *almost* too much frosting but it's against my religion to say that so I will not. :)

Edel-weiiiiiiis, edelweiiiiiis...


If you are in Prior Lake, definitey make a stop at Edelweiss. You will not regret it.

(I got a new computer and lost my cupcake ratings for now, but this is 5 out of 5!!

Shhhh... two perfect snowmen in their native habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment